We have recently had questions concerning our refund policy for chapter events. We understand that things come up and you need to change your plans. After careful review, the Executive Board of the SF Bay Region Chapter of SLA has decided that we cannot accommodate refunds or “rain checks” for our events (this includes programs, tours, professional development workshops, etc.).
Some reasons why:
- Our chapter does not make a profit on our events. We subsidize our events because it is important to us to be able to keep our attendance fees low.
- We are required to pay in advance for food and venues, and these costs are frequently based on head count. Therefore, we’ve already paid for your attendance.
- As a volunteer organization we are just not staffed to be able to keep track of refunds or attendance for future events.
So if you’ve paid for an event you find you cannot attend, please consider the following:
- Post a notice on our discussion board inviting a member to take your place.
- Think of it a tax-free donation to our organization.